Thursday, November 24, 2005

Duval fears after the Macau Grand Prix

Macau Grand Prix - Duval fears for his future By Jonathan Noble November 21st 2005, 10:44 GMT Euroseries Formula Three front-runner Loic Duval is keeping his fingers crossed that the start-line error that cost him victory in the Macau Grand Prix will not wreck his career. The Frenchman had been handed a golden opportunity to impress after landing a drive with the crack ASM team following Lewis Hamilton's decision to pull out of Macau. But despite dominating practice and the qualification race in the Macau Grand Prix, it all went wrong at the start of the main event when his car lurched forward when the lights were on. He was handed a drive-through penalty for jumping the start. And although he knows that his speed over the weekend impressed the team and onlookers, he fears that his failure to win the Macau Grand Prix will not go down well with the bosses of the Renault Driver Development programme as they decide which drivers to back next year. "The team, the engineers, the boss were saying: 'Loic, you were really fast, you were like Lewis.' But while I know that and the team know that, I will have to speak to RDD about it and they were not here - they know the result only. "When you have everything like this and you have a good team and a good car then you have to win. And I didn't." Duval's lack of sponsorship backing means that he needs RDD's backing to fulfil his dream of moving up to GP2 next year. "If I was the winner here then it was definitely GP2 next year, but I don't know if anybody will now want me in the car," he said. "RDD told me to win here and I didn't win. They will not be happy, but I am confident about my speed so we will see what happens in the next month. "I don't want to do F3 again unless it is with ASM, but I think their seats have gone. So I think I will go to the World Series by Renault or GP2. "But I have no money so first I have to stay with RDD. If they don't want me or tell me that I am not really good then I will have to go to Japan or something like that."